Wednesday, 22 January 2014

A Few Works in Progress

I have quite a few works in progress at the moment. I'm a bit of a butterfly, happily flitting from one to another. Sometime you just don't feel like working on the thing you really should be working on, so it's nice to have a lot of choices.
This week I went back to my Farmer's Wife quilt. I started it about a year ago, but didn't get very far.
At the time I chose some Liberty fabrics, but I didn't get very far. 

I wasn't comfortable with the palette, and I couldn't see it being a quilt that would go with any of my rooms. It would end up as a car or garden quilt, so I decided to start over.
This time round I'm using a Moda layer cake - 30s Playtime Chloe's Closet, plus any scraps from my stash that happen to go well. I'm also using plenty of solids , as I think too many prints was part of the problem last time. I've chosen a spring green, navy, red and snow for the solids. Others may be added as needed.
Two other changes I'm making - I'm pressing all my seams open. Some of these blocks have a lot of tiny pieces, so I'm going for consistency and pressing all the seams the same way.
I'm also working consistently through the block numbers. No skipping ones that I don't fancy that day allowed!!
So here we have:
Block #1 Attic Windows

Block #2 Autumn Tints

Block #3 Basket

 The handle of the basket is hand appliqu├ęd on afterwards. I love sitting quietly in the evening doing a little hand sewing. I must do more of it!! The strip was cut on the bias, folded under and then curved into position. It was a pretty tight curve and it didn't look as though it was going to co-operate. Then I remembered a tip that was stored somewhere in the dark recess of my mind - spritz it with water! I did, and it just sort of fell into place. I pressed it firmly until it was dry, and hey presto! the basket has a handle.

Block #4 Basket Weave
4 blocks down, 107 to go !!

I've also been working on my Economy Block quilt.

Adding a side border...

And another...

And a third

It's a finished quilt top now. 60" x 64"and I love it far, far more than I ever thought I would.

It will be stored away for a while, as I'm going to put myself through a sort of marathon free motion quilting practice on some scrap blocks. And when I think I'm good and ready, it will get quilted. This was going to be a charity quilt, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to part with it!


  1. Love your economy quilt! I also have a layer cake set aside for a farmer's wife, but won't let myself start it until I've finished my hand sewn hexagons... How are you doing it, are you using templates or measurements? I haven't tried the CD yet that came with the book, but it all sounded rather complicated...

  2. Its beautiful..everything a nice quilt should be. I wouldnt be able to part with it if I had made it thats for sure xx

  3. Do let us know how you get on with your free motion quilting. Having just learned about quilting and only made 3 so far, I have just begun to learn free motion. I am finding it really difficult at present, so will follow your progress with interest and hope to improve with you as you go along. Ann x

  4. You have sure been a busy bee, Julie! Love all your pieced blocks... But that economy quilt top is my fave! I don't blame you for not wanting to part with it!

  5. Love both your quilt wip's Julie. You have been fast with those economy blocks!

  6. I love your Farmer - it's a good idea to add the solids - it's such a busy quilt with so much detail that they will help the piecing shine! Have you seen the new Flickr group - we're all egging each other on -

  7. Your quilt looks lovely. Good luck with your quilting practise.

  8. i really like the calm soothing colors of your economy block and the borders you added. i like your new version of the FWQ too. the 30s prints are the perfect match.

  9. those Liberty fabrics make me drool!

    Stopping by from Lee's hop

  10. Love your economy quilt, I'm just starting out with mine, thinking of going kingsize!!

  11. All your work is beautiful, love them all. :)

  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  13. Wow! Your projects are coming along brilliantly. I really want to make a novelty economy block quilt. Love your farmers blocks (both the Liberty ones and Chloes closet)......was reading about those earlier, they sound rather tricky!!

  14. So lovely! :)
    Greetings from Finland!
    Hugs, Ulla


I love to hear from you!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...